It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Unmarked cookie jars
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:12 pm 

Here's a shot of all three together. To give you an idea of size the red canister is 9" tall. Please see the previous three posts for individual photos and information.
Many thanks for any info,
Sandy

Attachments:
File comment: All three jars together.
CookieJarCanisters.jpg
CookieJarCanisters.jpg [ 118.53 KiB | Viewed 11068 times ]

Post subject: Re: Unmarked cookie jars
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:27 pm 
Site Admin

Hi,
The first thing that came to mind when I saw these is the 1940's. I'm not sure why that was my initial impression but, feel is almost all there is to go with &, a gut reaction is usually pretty good to go. I did look around a bit online but not enough discernible differences to search on to nail anything down. Speckled pattern, gloss glaze, prairie flowers, yellow clay, etc. etc. terms, phrases & combinations. No really good search results or picture matches. :(
Are the specks raised? (can you feel the bumps ~ protruded or smooth?)
Anyway, if I were a betting man, (which I'm not :P ) between 1920-1950's, made in the midwest, & likely somewhere close to Ohio from the clay color.
OK, I'll admit that I really am a betting man, 1940's....I put 20 bucks on it! :) I wish you luck on finding out more about them. (please also let me know if you do!)
Thanks for your posts,
Tyler

Post subject: Re: Unmarked cookie jars
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:48 pm 

Hi Tyler,
Thanks for the input. I do know now that the green one is from R. R. P. Co. in, you guessed it, Ohio. From the history I know on the green jar I would put the 40's as the very latest it would have been made. I now have a blue one that clearly has the Robinson Ransbottom Pottery mark on the bottom and now looking closely at the same area of the green one I can just barely make out the crown. I also have a red one coming which I am excited to see. I would also guess the blue one is not quite as old as the green. The blue one is thinner walled and lighter and has a slightly different look to it. To answer your question, yes the specks are raised and visible through the flowers and leaves.
My thanks again,
Sandy

Attachments:
RRPCoCookieJars.jpg
RRPCoCookieJars.jpg [ 74.56 KiB | Viewed 11057 times ]