It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Vase
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:40 pm 

Hopefully the pictures came through alright. Pictured is a vase I found in my mom's things. No telling how old. I don't remember it. It was rolled up in old material and placed in a box. This has been in her closet for at least 30-40 yrs. It is 10 1/4 inches tall. I don't recognize the maker mark on the bottom. Can anyone out there shed any light on my vase. It is in mint condition. I guess she never used it. Thanks!!.........Annette

Attachments:
vase1 (480x640).jpg
vase1 (480x640).jpg [ 179.03 KiB | Viewed 18589 times ]
vase2 (640x480).jpg
vase2 (640x480).jpg [ 173.42 KiB | Viewed 18589 times ]

Post subject: Re: Vase
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:08 am 

What you have is a very nice piece of old Rookwood Pottery. It is very collectable. You should google Rookwood. The worth can be from hundreds to many thousands depending on the age, condition , artist. I believe it might be from 1905. It looks like it might be the work of rose fechheimer. I think That is her mark. ( the dots and slashes) She has a wide price range. Similar vases have sold for over a thousand.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8UaLsmLo9V ... UaLsmLo9Vw

http://artpotteryblog.com/2007/11/rookw ... ter-2.html

And here you can see a picture of her mark.http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROOKWOOD-7-1-2- ... 0466223506

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:11 am 

Thank you very much for your info. I will try to find out the painters mark identity. I am very excited about my find. Thanks again. I will update once I find more info.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:10 am 

Here is an article about Rose Fechheimer and another one of her works. ( a tile)
https://www.rookwood.com/news.php?newsId=32

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:23 pm 

Thanks so much, Debonyx, for all the info. I am convinced that my vase is a Rose Fechheimer Rookwood. It is in mint condition with no scratches,chips or cracks. I am curious about the large number that was marked across the bottom (1130 or what ever it is. That was made at the making of the vase. You can feel the indenture of the numbers. Would you know what that number meant? That remains the only mystery of my vase other than I am amazed that it has laid in a cardboard box wrapped in fabric scraps for 30+ years. My mom passed a couple of years ago and I am still going through a box here and there. It just seems hard to do sometimes. But mom was like that. She would hide her best stuff away and not use it. Again many thanks.......Annette

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:15 pm 

I am not sure what the number means. I will see if I can find out. It might be the number of the glaze. Sometimes potteries number their glazes to replicate them. I could be totally off base here. It is a lovely gift to find such a treasure from your mom. I hope it brings you joy and good thoughts about a woman who obviously had good taste.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:54 pm 

Yes it is a great gift and pleasant surprise. Knowing that my mom cherished it enough to pack it away all these years means alot to me. I will cherish it because it was hers. It will always have a place in my home where it can be admired (incognito) and passed down. It has a high perch now on top of my antique apothecary desk that I got from a previous employer.
Reading about the different glazes on the link you provided, it says that each glaze had a letter that was used on the bottom of the piece to identify the glaze used. This piece has a "v" that represents the "vellum" glaze that was used. Vellum was first used at the Rookwood factory in 1904 I believe. Rose worked there from 1896 till 1906. So I'm not sure if the large numbers represent the glaze or what. I have viewed a pieces of her work online and have not seen the large numbers on anything else.
Many thanks again for all the links you provided. I find myself falling in love with the Rookwood pottery. I already have a liking for the McCoy line. The scottie dog/cat planter on the desk is just like the one I remember from my child hood. My brother may still have the one that belonged to mom. I picked this up at an antique store going out of business for about 10$. Everything was 40+% off. Happy hunting! Annette

Attachments:
desk.jpeg
desk.jpeg [ 225.09 KiB | Viewed 18565 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:35 pm 

Love it! Happy hunting to you too!